The August 2021 issue of Limelight is available for subscribers to read on our website.
Subscribe from $3 a month to access to the online version.
Access the PDF version
In the Limelight
The editors of Limelight share their selection of the most exciting classical music, opera, theatre and dance events coming up in August.
In our ongoing debate about the music that Australian orchestras play, Peter Tregear discusses the rise of identity politics and argues that if we wish to defend our orchestral culture, we cannot avoid questions of musical value.
On Air & Online
The Double Bass with Phoebe Russell
Phoebe Russell, Principal Double Bass at Queensland Symphony Orchestra, started playing the instrument after an arm wrestle at primary school, though she really wanted to play the harp. She now feels strongest and happiest with a double bass in her hands.
Since our relaunch in late 2020, an enhanced range of content is available online for Limelight subscribers to access, including:
- Reviews of live performances around Australia, published as soon as possible after the opening performance
- Daily news from the music and broader performing arts scene in Australia and around the world
- Up-to-the-minute reviews of recorded performances available through streaming or as CDs, including exclusive reviews of Australian performers and Australian composers as well as visiting international artists
- Online-only features including artist interviews, composer profiles, festivals, current issues and events
- Online-only columns by musicians and music experts
This month’s online columns will include:
Composer of the Month
Recording of the Month
Tinalley String Quartet
Art Music Playlist
Film & Television
Limelight Arts Media Pty Ltd
Subscriptions & Operations Manager
Jane Albert, Brett Allen-Bayes, Namila Benson, Peter Berner, Claire Edwardes, Deborah Jones, Angus McPherson, Guy Noble, Vincent Plush, Hugh Robertson, Nicholas Routley, Phoebe Russell, Paul Selar, Diana Simmonds, Shamistha de Soysa, Peter Tregear, Ian Whitney
© 2021 Limelight Arts Media
No material may be reproduced without prior written permission of the publisher