Welcome to the Australian Art Music playlist! A monthly playlist of classical, jazz, experimental and electronic music focused on contemporary Australian composers, musicians and sound artists.
The mesmerising beauty of a kaleidoscope comes from multiple reflections and ever-changing arrangements of translucent coloured glass, creating endless permutations of pattern, colour and texture.
This month’s playlist takes this as a metaphor as we explore music that takes voices, instruments and other source sounds as a centrepiece to be reflected on, permuted, and expanded into an endless array of musical colour. It is a celebration of the wealth and diversity of style our artists have under the broad umbrella of art music, and its associated genres of Classical, Jazz, Sound Art, and Improvised and Experimental Music. I hope you find pieces that challenge you, inspire you, and comfort you in the list.
If you’re wanting more music to explore I would, as always, recommend the Australian Art Music Archive, with all previously featured tracks (now just over 1,300!) and our new community listening project: 1,000 Curious Ears – the February edition of that playlist is available here (featuring 11 different full albums!) and on the community Facebook group.
Until next month, may you experience the wonder and joy that only a full rainbow of colours can bring.
- Small Round Strangely Furry with Spots Stripes and Other Patterns by Connor D’Netto | performed by Jonathan Leeds, Maja Horvat & Joe Howson
- Three Birds by Belle Chen
- Drowning In The Weight Of Your Expectations by Sophie Rose
- The Perfumed Calyx by Lyle Chan | performed by HD Duo (Michael Duke & David Howie)
- I. Wind (Of Ancestors) from Biamanga Juxtaposed by Eric Avery | performed by Ensemble Offspring
- Northern Storm by Madeleine Cocolas
- Panorama by Alex Hirlian & Matthew Thomson | performed by Tourismo
- IV. Aloe Vera from String Quartet No. 2: Sundried by Alice Chance | performed by Acacia Quartet
- Part II (magnolia grandiflora) from Sonata for Piano by Kym Alexandra Dillon
- Build It in Your Sleep by Lucas Arundell | performed by Yemi Gonzales, Héloïse Lefebvre, Ruth Mogrovejo, Lee Caspi, Natalie Plöger, & James P. Scannell
- Cockatoo Rave by Reuben Lewis | performed by I Hold the Lion’s Paw
- Gesualdo by Theo Carbo | performed by The Rest Is Silence (Flora Carbo, Theo Carbo, Isaac Gunnoo & Maddison Carter)
- VIII. Skin Changing from Sex Magic by Liza Lim | performed by Claire Chase & Senem Pirler
- Repetition Compulsion by Thembi Soddell
- Planetary by Michaela Gleave, Amanda Cole & Louise Devenish | performed by The Sound Collectors Lab (Hamish Upton, Kaylie Melville, Nat Grant, Louise Devenish)
- I touched your Glistening Tears by Brenton Broadstock | performed by Michael Duke, David Howie, & Julian Smiles
- Chronotope-Situation No. 2 by Pedro Alvarez | performed by Decibel New Music Ensemble
- IV. Green from Spectrum by Sally Whitwell | performed by Divisi Chamber Singers & Coady Green
- Blue Waves by Alexandra Spence
- Earth Cry by Peter Sculthorpe | performed by William Barton & Queensland Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Christie
Listen on Spotify
Don’t forget that while streaming is a great way to discover new music, attending gigs or purchasing albums and merchandise is an even better way to support the artists you love. We’ve set up a Merch Table to get you started, but don’t forget to check out the artists’ websites for more details and other ways to support them.